Saturday, November 19, 2011

"Room" - book review


Available at Amazon.com


I had bought this book some time ago, and forgotten what it was about, so I started it without any pre-expectations.  Oh my gosh.  It is one of the most riveting books I've ever experienced.  Written in the voice of a five-year-old boy who has been raised by his captive mother in total isolation, it is both harrowing and sweet, if it's possible to be both at the same time.  I totally fell in love with the little boy, and empathized with his mother.  I had a few issues with the coy way the author treated some aspects of the story, but they are minor.  An excellent read, and highly recommended.

4 comments:

  1. Busy lady with your posts Linda! This sounds like it needs to be on my list; still reading with my book clubs from my years running the library on the reservation...have not found the group for me here yet in Missoula and delight in looking at new to me authors and titles. Have put in an order to Amazon... Thanks Kristin McNamara Freeman

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, Kristin, it's either feast or famine with me, LOL! I love the Good Reads website (http://www.goodreads.com/) for getting recommendations for my next book.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love a good read! I'll be lookig for this one. I've actually gotten to read a lot lately - a catch-up after the activities of the fall. We'll have to talk books more!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just scrolling through your blog and read your entry about the book Room. Last May I met the author at our local library in Toronto. She lives in London Ontario and she was the most fascinating and charming speaker. She has many scholarly works to her name. Perhaps you know that the story is based loosely on fact. I have to agree with you that it was a riveting read. I have sometimes had trouble convincing friends to read, they mistakenly think it will be too frightening. Enjoy your blog. Sorry about the cat.

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me, Y'all!